Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A day during stabilization

I am about 5 days into stabilization. So far I've managed to stay under the 2 lb gain limit but not by much. I'm up about 1.5 lbs from my last injection weight. I'm not panicking but I am growing concerned. I'm afraid the steak day may be in my future.

I've been eating in a way that has brought some guilt along. I think I've done pretty well at avoiding the starches and the sugars. Dr. Simeon says you can eat "anything you please" except starches and sugars. I've done just that by consuming lots of meats, eggs, nuts, cheeses and sugar free jello/pudding. I originally thought it was going to be very difficult building menus in this phase because you are left on your own unlike the very structured diet on hcg. Once I started fixing "eggy" and "cheesy" breakfasts it got pretty yummy pretty quick. I also found out that it can be quite a challenge to find foods without starch or sugar.

The question I ask is this...... If a food item has "trace" amounts of sugar or things like modified food starch or potato starch is it a big no no? I'll read the label and find these listed way down at the bottom. The nutritional facts will say 0 carbs or "less than 2%". I have been using a few things that list those and I'm wondering if I'm screwing things up. I will NOT allow myself to regain beyond 2 lbs so I am really addressing this right now to prevent any future battles.

Can I eat cheese? Block cheese seems to be just fine but shredded cheese has those trace amounts of starch. I've heard some people say you shouldn't have cheese at all, but don't you think Simeon would've addressed that if it were true? I read somewhere to stay away from the "sweetest fruits". Is that true? I can't find where I read it but I know it isn't in the manuscript. I love oranges and eat them often and can't imagine them being bad since I had them through hcg. Are bananas ok?

I am regularly eating sugar free pudding to calm any sweet tooth. I've come to love the sweetness of the pudding. Just as good as regular if you ask me. Is this ok?

So if an experienced person has any input, please chime in.

Last injection weight was 192.8. Current weight: 194.2

2 comments:

Ailu said...

Both my husband and I were successful maintaining thru P3. We avoided bananas, too starchy. Also avoided all tropical fruits, and grapes too. Apples & oranges were no problem. But we ate all the cheese and nuts we wanted. We avoided anything with modified food starch in it. Basically, avoid anything with a glycemic index of 50 or more, and you will be okay.

We also avoided aspartame and other artificial sweeteners except for stevia - we've seen studies where they can increase appetite. Oh - make sure and avoid MSG like the plague! It's in almost everything, and it increased the appetite big time! Google it and you will find that scientists have been using it since the 60's to fatten their mice up for obesity studies. (Now I know why I was always hungry an hour after eating Chinese food.)

Also, can't say enough good about coconut oil. It is a metabolism booster, and really helps you drop the weight. We even used it in P2 - took a tbs before bed whenever we had a stall - we'd always drop 2 lbs the next morning.

Wish you the best!
AiluMaiden

Nate said...

great feedback, thanks. I will try all the things you suggested.